Wednesday, November 24, 2010

File under: Glad I did it, but will never do it again

I have always loved the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade. Growing up, I watched it every Thanksgiving morning, eagerly waiting the arrival of Santa at the end. My favorite part though was always the giant character balloons. How cool, I'd think, to see those in person.

Tonight we did! We bundled up and headed into NYC to see the balloons get inflated up on the streets of the Upper West Side. This event has evidently become as popular as the parade itself because it was packed. Police and others force everyone to walk in one direction - block to block - to see the balloons. I suppose it does help keep the crowd under control, but it has a definite cattle call feeling to it. And some people are just, well, rude. Some guy with a kid on his shoulders knocked Sophie over, looked at her and kept right on going. I mean really, a simple, "ooops, sorry," is totally necessary in that situation.

Regardless, the girls were SO excited:

IMG_4140

We saw several balloons including . . .

Shrek:

Shrek's head

Kool-Aid:

Hey, Kool-Aid!

As well as Sponge Bob, Hello Kitty, Diary of a Wimpy Kid and Spiderman. We also skipped a whole block where a few favorites (Scooby-Doo most namely) were undoubtedly housed, but the masses, the stress of trying to hang on to your kid as other people constantly pushed between you, the slow-as-molasses crawl in one direction through the streets and two tired, hungry girls, forced us to abort the mission.

All in all? I'm glad we did it, mostly because it means we NEVER HAVE TO DO IT AGAIN!!

Here is the aftermath:

IMG_4160

And . . .

IMG_4161

Tomorrow we'll all be eating turkey and mashed potatoes and pie . . . but for some reason, I can't stop thinking about frog legs. Hmmmm . . .

Kermit the Frog Balloon

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!!

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Colleen @AMadisonMom said...

I'm filing it under... could be amazing to see, but you won't catch me there.

: )

9:59 PM  
Blogger Maureen said...

Ha! I love the pictures of the girls passed out afterward. It is one of those things that you have to experience at least once, like the parade itself (in person). Now you can check it off your list!

1:36 PM  
Blogger TriGirl said...

That's really cool!

10:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home