Monday, August 25, 2008

This post has been brought to you by the letter A for Annoying

OK.

I'm just going to say it.

I hate Sesame Place.

I really, really do.

Last Friday, we made our fourth trip to that little sliver of hell childhood paradise tucked away in Eastern Pennsylvania. And the reality is, we could potentially go back again next year? Why?

Because we are insane our kids love it. They love it. Their little faces light up at the sight of Elmo, Bert, Ernie and the others. Their eyes double in size and they don huge smiles. They run up to the characters with their arms outstretched, wrapping them tightly around the characters' legs, barely able to contain their delight.

Meanwhile, we stand around cursing the heat and the lines for EVERYTHING (is that place ever not crowded?) and the never-ending rape and pillage of our wallets ($15 for parking? $2.79 for bottled water? C'mon!) Not to mention the constant stress of keeping an eagle eye on the girls in a loud, confusing, crowded environment.

I always leave there 1. thanking God that we still have two kids and 2. exhausted to the bone both mentally and physically.

Though I will say that this year, for the first time ever, we actually got to ride some of the rides (as crowded as it was, it seemed not quite as packed as previous years and some of the lines were actually palatable. Also, both girls finally meet the height requirement for the roller coaster and many of the water slides).

And let me tell you - a roller coaster is fun. A roller coaster with your favorite five-year-old snuggled up next to you laughing and shrieking with joy is pure ecstasy. That was the highlight. The hook that will bring us back again (probably) for another round. I know it, and the park's planners know it. But I don't have to be happy about it.

Here are a few of my (grainy, cellphone) pictures:

Me-S-Sesame-08

Loaf before the Abby Cadabby Treasure Hunt show. See? Happy, happy. How can I resist?

Characters-Dance

"The roof! The roof! The roof is on fire . . . " OK, not really. But wouldn't that be funny?

Elmo-Abby-08

Elmo and Abby Cadabby: the equivalent of a yapping dog at 3 a.m. to adults; crack cocaine for kids.

Aud-Sesame08

Peanut is enthralled.

Soph-Awestruck-Sesame08

Loaf is either awestruck or is thinking, "What the f*@#!!?" Tough call.

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer S said...

Maybe both? She'll have that same look on her face when she has kids and has to pay $2.79 (plus inflation) for water.

The things we do to serve our role as parents. Though the roller coasters sound really fun.

9:43 PM  
Blogger Chris Cactus said...

You know, I've actually thought it would be cool to make the drive and take the kids. I'm starting to rethink that ;)

8:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It has got to be better than disneyland.

3:26 PM  
Blogger Kimberly said...

Jennifer - the price gorging makes me mental. I can tolerate the crowds (to some extent) and the goofy characters (because my kids love them so), but the park is so overpriced. Admission is ridiculous for a park of that size too. Grrr!

9:57 PM  
Blogger Kimberly said...

Cactus - Not sure what to tell you there. I can guarantee your kids will love it, but I take no responsibility for the sanity or happiness of the adults in your party. :-)

9:58 PM  
Blogger Kimberly said...

Anonymous - No idea. The last time I was at Disney, I was 4. I do see Disney in our future in a year or two and I've heard anecdotally that it's much better run. I'll report back . . . someday.

10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have yet to make that trip ... YET.. is the key word..I know at some point of my parenting career with toddlers I am going to have to do it..hahahaha

The kids look like they had fun though!! :)

9:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For the record, regarding the second to last photo, I am in a black shirt holding "Peanut", not the shirtless man-boobs person next to us.

-Mark G.
(husband, victim, and Kim's biggest fan)

10:42 AM  
Blogger Kimberly said...

Mark - thanks for the clarification (and for being a fan).

9:32 PM  
Blogger Maureen said...

I have to admit that I love Sesame! I am probably in the minority but I get all giggly when we get there. I don't know why. The prices are very high but what isn't these days? We made a ride to 6 Flags and those prices? Made me want to hang myself AND we didn't have nearly as much fun at we do at Sesame.

It looks like your girls enjoyed it though! What a good mom you are to hang in there and make their little day :)

1:27 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home