Friday, June 26, 2009

Just call us Typhoid Mary (and Mark)

This has been a bad week.

When Mark picked me up from the airport on Saturday night, he was sick. So sick, that on Friday he actually passed out at a friends’ house shortly before puking all over their bathroom.

Fortunately, they are very, VERY good friends and not only took care of Mark by driving him home, they also stayed and put the girls to bed so he could rest.

When he picked me up on Saturday, he was pale and weak. Mark never gets sick, so I knew it had to be bad.

By Sunday, he was feeling a bit better. We actually had pizza for dinner and then a little nookie, because after all, it had been a while. I missed him while I was in California. And he was feeling better, so I figured I was safe.

Big mistake! By Monday night, I was feeling queasy. I didn’t eat dinner. I went to bed with stomach cramps and chills. By Tuesday afternoon, I had a fever of nearly 103, chills, aches, a headache, nausea and I was unbelievably tired. I napped on an off all day.

Mark took care of the girls. He was still tired, but feeling better.

Until Wednesday when he came down with a fever. And chills. And aches.

Since then, we’ve spent the majority of our days in a prone position either on the couch or in bed. We’ve tagged teamed with childcare. Last night, his fever was 104. ← Not a typo.

Our house. Ugh. You probably don’t want to know. Half-filled glasses of water everywhere. Unmade beds. Toys that haven’t been picked up since Tuesday night. Dishes piled up by the sink. Blankets and sheets and pillows all over the living room. Floors unswept.

And of course, this has been one of the nicest, non-rainiest weeks we’ve had all summer. And we’ve been trapped indoors more or less the whole time.

My poor, poor kids.

They’ve played more computer games and watched more movies than, well, probably ever. They’ve been read to and played with less than ever before. They’ve had very little outside time – no bike riding or trips to the park.

On the very, very, very high upside, they also (so far) show no signs of getting sick themselves.

:::knocking furiously on the wooden table at which I’m sitting:::

Please send good thoughts that they stay well, because no child should have to feel as bad as we’ve felt this week. In fact, I can’t possibly see how they’d get through this without a visit to the ER. It’s been that bad.

Today, I’m feeling a bit better. Less achy and only a slight upset stomach. I’ve started reintroducing food (very bland food, but still, food -my first in days) with fair results.

Mark’s fever this morning was still over 103.

I don’t know if this is all related to the illness Mark came down with last Friday, or if I brought something more ominous home with me from the plane. Whatever it is, I’ll be glad when it’s out of our home for good. The first thing I'm going to do is take my kids to the park.

And if that goes well, I'm going out for a cheeseburger.


Anonymous Anonymous said...

did you see your doctor?
I don't want to scare you.. just wondered if it could be swine flu.

3:35 PM  
Blogger Lady M said...

Good health, good health, good health to you! (Hoping that saying it three times will make it a charm.)

12:35 AM  
Anonymous mayberry said...

Oh, YUCK -- sounds so awful. The kids will bounce back from a slacker week, don't worry about that! I just hope you and Mark are well and truly on the mend very soon.

5:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home