Thursday, November 03, 2011

The one where the impossible becomes possible

I am a runner.

It’s taken me a long time to embrace that statement because I wasn’t running more than 2-3 miles at a time. Then, last fall, I did a 10K and last winter started training for a half marathon. Still, I wasn’t a “real” runner because I wasn’t fast.

But I don’t think I can deny that statement anymore.

Last Sunday, I completed the Marine Corps Marathon in Washington, D.C. – training for a 26.2 mile race, and then actually running it, pretty much officializes (yes, I know that's not a word) you as a runner. There is no more denying it.

I am proud of myself. I’m not saying that to brag, but simply because it’s the truth. Less than six months ago, when completed my half marathon, I told myself I could never, ever, EVER run a full one. Never. No way. Cannot do. Don’t even try it, sister!

And then one night I found myself registering to run the Marine Corps Marathon for the American Cancer Society and mapping out a training plan that had runs of increasing distances (15, 16, 18, 20 miles) and thinking, “Oh my God! What have I done?!?”

But each training run was completed – not always easily and not always quickly – but I did each and every one.

Over the past few weeks and months, I cannot tell you how many people have said to me, “I could never do a marathon.”

Which is funny, because that’s exactly what I said to myself and others only a few short months ago. And today I write to you as a marathoner.

Don’t ever sell yourself short. Don’t ever tell yourself you can’t. Don’t ever give up on something you believe in.

Because whether your goal is to run a marathon or start a business or learn to hang glide, you can do it. And you should. Life it too short to spend it in regret.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous alejna said...

Wow! I'm very impressed. Go you! And thanks for passing along the encouragement.

How nice it is to see a post from you pop up in my reader!

11:50 PM  
Blogger biningshao said...

Office 2010 is totally different than Office 2003. If you have more than one computer change them all to 2010 or keep them all using 2003. If you go with the newer Office 2010, also get a copy of Professor Teaches download Office 2010 by Individual software.

4:08 AM  
Anonymous Visio 2010 said...

Microsoft Visio Professional 2010 Download gives you a powerful, visually enhanced way to effectively manage a wide range of projects and programs. From meeting crucial deadlines, to selecting the right resources and empowering your teams, Microsoft Visio Standard 2010 Download delivers new and intuitive experiences to simply plan, manage, and collaborate with individuals, teams, and the enterprise.
Visio 2010 Download is a platform for viewing, creating, manipulating and managing files in Adobe's PDF format.
With a dramatically improved user experience and intelligent drawing tools and templates, Microsoft Visio 2010 Download makes every step in creating diagrams easier.

9:29 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home