Saturday, May 03, 2008

A moment in time

In four months, Peanut will turn five. She is all energy, all the time—a constant whirl of arms and legs. A persistent hum of chatter and song.

So today as I worked at the computer, I was surprised to find her standing next to me, her small hand on my arm.

"Hi Mom," she said, resting her head against my shoulder.

"Well, hello. What's up?" I inquired expecting a request for a snack or a drink.

"Nothing. I just wanted to see you."

I lifted her into my lap and she curled into it like a large kitten. Placing her ear against my heart, she closed her eyes and lay still against me.

"Are you OK?" I asked. "Is everything alright?"

"Yes, everything is fine, Mommy. I just wanted to be near you."

We sat like that for several minutes, her head resting against me, one hand flat on my chest. I rocked slowly back and forth and stroked her hair. Every now and then I leaned over and placed the softest of kisses on her forehead.

"You know, when you were a baby, you used to sit like this all the time," I told her. "You even slept like this."

She said nothing, but pressed in harder.

"It's so nice. I'm so lucky to have this moment with you to remember what you were like way back then," I continued.

She sat up, smiled at me and without a word, hopped off my lap and ran off. I sat in my chair and watched her go. For several minutes, I did nothing but relish the moment, trying to burn its sweetness into my permanent memory.

I hope to teach my daughter many things as she grows, but today she taught me something: Remember to slow down, stop, enjoy and cherish what you have. Even if only for a moment.

Labels: , , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

How beautiful this is. Lucky, indeed.

11:57 AM  
Blogger Rocas said...

Gav, hold onto these memories tight.
My children are now adults and the memory of holding their small bodies in my arms is both heart breaking and heart building; so sad that I can no longer rock them, but so grateful that once I could.

7:25 PM  
Blogger Mayberry said...

Awww! Whenever my daughter crawls onto my lap I am instantly struck at how big and gangly she is (even though she's almost the smallest one in her class).

9:09 PM  
Blogger XUP said...

Waahhhh - I miss my baby being a baby. She's all long and teenagey now. She still likes a cuddle now and then, but it's not the same.

9:33 AM  
Blogger Binkytowne said...

There really is nothing better. My little one is into giving kisses and it knocks me out every time.

5:42 PM  
Blogger ryssee said...

Aw that's so sweet! It makes me want to give my mom a big hug this weekend when I see her! I think I will. :-)

7:45 PM  
Blogger Minnesota Matron said...

Very sweet! My newly minted five year old was driving in the van with me and he said: "Momma? When we get home, will you hold me?"

Can I pull over right now!?!!

3:44 PM  
Blogger Chris Curtin said...

Very sweet. They'll surprise you for years to come.

My youngest daughter, who is now 10, will still sometimes sit next to me on the couch and fall asleep. It used to be our 'thing' when my wife was out for the evening.

9:57 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Absolutely beautiful. This is so true and so perfect.
What a wonderful moment. I'm glad you were able to realize what a special moment you two were experiencing.

10:13 PM  
Blogger imaginary binky said...

Ah, sweetness. These are the reasons to have babies.

11:19 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home