Saturday, May 24, 2008

No place like it

Thursday afternoon, driving north on the Taconic State Parkway. We rise in altitude first over the Taconic Mountains and then into the Berkshires.

After a bit over three hours, we enter Massachusetts and my body sighs and thinks, "I'm home."

I haven't lived here full time since 1987. I haven't had a mailing address here since 1992. But when my car crosses the border and I look around at the peaks around me (so lush and green right now, amazingly vibrant in oranges, golds and reds in the autumn and pure white in winter), at the wide expanses of fields of cows, horses, or wildflowers, at the array of blue mountain lakes, I know - without a doubt - that this is the place I will always think of first and foremost as home.

I'm not sure I'll ever live here again. After over a decade in NJ, I've put down roots there - my job, my friends, my home, a proximity to New York City that I love - each tethering me to the area and making it harder to imagine moving back here.

And yet, being here is a breath of fresh air. I sit in my mom's kitchen and soak her up as much as I can. My children nuzzle against her while she reads them stories. I gaze out the window and see nothing but trees for as far as the eye can see. Later today, we will head out into my mom's backyard to play in the sun.

DSCF2134

Tomorrow, we will retrace our trip in the opposite direction, heading south and watching the landscape change again. When we pull into our driveway, I will smile in relief at being back in our own home. We will unload and unpack and settle back into the good life we've made there. And start looking forward to our next trip north again.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kimberly,
I suggest you try Route 22 instead of the Taconic some time....see my story at www.ruralintelligence.com
Dan

10:20 AM  
Blogger Tara R. said...

I have the same reaction when travel from my home in Florida to my HOME in Tennessee. I really miss the mountains. Beautiful photo!

12:24 PM  
Blogger ryssee said...

Going home to visit makes me realize how beautiful our home county is...I appreciate it so much more when I visit, and sometimes fantasize about living there again. It's so beautiful and I love our family there. My life away from there is really good, and I know I couldn't duplicate it there 'cause we know what reality is, but there is something about home that is HOME.

9:30 PM  
Blogger Minnesota Matron said...

Welcome home! Looks beautiful.

6:17 PM  
Blogger Rocas said...

I have lived in Jersey all my life, so I do not have that same sense as you do about going back to a home of my past, but there are many places that give me that same feeling, its like a recharge of the soul. Sometimes its mountains, sometimes a lake, or ocean or just a window where I can watch a thunder storm.
Just like Dorothy said: 'There's no place like home'.

7:14 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home