Monday, May 19, 2008

To my dear, dear college friends:

Hi friends,

I know a lot of you read my blog. At least that's what you tell me, and my site meter seems to confirm that. (Your towns in places like New Hampshire, Maryland, western New York and Florida all regularly appear there).

So let's do a little test, shall we?

I've been thinking about you all a lot today. I miss you. We don't get together or chat as much as any of us would like, but I understand that's because we're all busy. Most of us are parents and even those of who aren't have active, demanding, full schedules.

But today I thought of you even more than usual.

Do you know why?

Are you ready for this? (Get ready to be shocked and awed).

we graduated from college 17 years ago today

Yeah.

I thought, briefly, about keeping that bit of information to myself. I thought maybe some (or all) of you had forgotten that little anniversary. It's easy for me to remember because tomorrow is my husband's birthday and I remember graduating the day before. May 19, 1991. A date that will live in infamy, at least for me.

I thought, briefly, "Why make everyone else wallow in this sad bit of information? Why not just keep it to myself and spare everyone else the painful realization that we are all nearly two decades out of college?"

But then I thought about the old days, when we'd push each other's buttons (in good fun, of course), name-calling and gently poking at each other. I remember when we were all turning twentysomething and we made it a point to send the most obnoxious "old age" birthday cards we could find to each other. I got a lot of those cards. A lot.

Payback is a bitch, baby.

::evil grins::

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Maureen said...

Good god, has it really been 17 years for you people?! Holy smokes, you guys are OLD!! ;) Just kidding, sort of. I will have to remind F, as he shares your graduation day.

Me? I am still 2 years behind all you OLD TIMERS! Baaaahaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, don't wallow in it - celebrate it! There were good peeps, good times, great memories from Utica (of all places).

9:04 AM  
Blogger Kimberly said...

Moe - I was waiting to see how long it would be before one of you "young 'uns" chimed to say, "I graduated after you so neener neener neener." Damn whippersnappers. ;-)

Oh and this post is nothing. I'm just getting warmed up for the "oh-woe-is-me" post I've got coming next month for my (gulp) 39th birthday.

10:07 AM  
Blogger XUP said...

We used to send each other Sympathy cards on our birthdays back in the day. Now, that wouldn't be so funny anymore

10:49 AM  
Blogger Maureen said...

Kim,
I couldn't resist ;)

11:50 AM  
Blogger Maureen said...

Oh, and did you see the website the frat guys from college have? Pretty cool. How come we don't have one of those for the XBE girls?

11:51 AM  
Blogger Kimberly said...

I know. Were the situation reversed, I couldn't resist either.

I haven't seen it. Is it public? Do you have a link? I'd set one up if I could. I tried the message board, but no one ever posted.

1:43 PM  
Blogger Loni said...

Hey Kim! Time sure flies. It seems like yesterday when we would sit in front of Alumni Hall "studying", drinking and just hanging out on a warm spring day. Today, as the boys run screaming around the house, I wish for that day! Thanks for the reminder, they were good times, good peeps and great memories. Although, I don't want to be reminded that 39 is coming! Enjoy and thanks for the cool place to pop into when life gets crazy here!

4:42 PM  
Blogger Kimberly said...

Loni! So nice to "see" you! They were good times! I simply can't believe that much time has passed.

Hope all is well with you and your family.

4:45 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

OMG Kim...wow 17 years! ahhh yes, what great memories!! But trust me since I've been there for 3 months now...39 is nothing. Just a number. You are too fun and gorgeous and in such a wonderful place in your life to worry about a number. As one of my really old patients says..."it's just another trip around the sun!"

PS...yep, I finally signed up! Maybe I'll start my own blog one of these days! :-)

1:23 PM  
Blogger Kimberly said...

Karen! How are you my friend? I hope married life is treating you well. You have the best perspective and outlook on age. I really admire it. And you say nice things to me too, so that helps. :-)

Get a blog! It's loads of fun.

3:23 PM  
Blogger ryssee said...

HAHAHA, funny post! Next year your degree will be old enough to vote.

6:12 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home