Friday, June 13, 2008

Chasing a dream

Nate, my brother, is a spry 25. He has lived the better part of his life in pursuit of one goal: A spot on the U.S. Olympic Judo team.

He started judo at the age of 5, his interest in martial arts spurred by the movie The Karate Kid. When my step-father tried to sign up for karate lessons, he was told that Nate was too young. But my step-father knew someone who owned a judo studio and he said to bring Nate by. If nothing else, he'd get to put on a gi and roll around on a mat.

Today, over 20 years later, he is standing - right at this very moment - in a stadium somewhere in Las Vegas about to compete for that illustrious spot on the U.S. Team. His match, literally, is beginning any second (1 p.m. eastern time).

I sit here typing with a knot in my stomach. He has worked so hard for this. He has won a great number of prestigious matches. He has traveled the world more than I can ever hope to. He has had some heartbreaking losses and numerous injuries. He had his morale damaged by a coach who is too arrogant and thought it better to spend his time berating his students vs. building them up. He overcame that and is a stonger, better person today.

Through it all, he has stuck with a sport that is virtually unknown and barely watched here in America. He has sacrificed and fought and pushed his body beyond the limit.

When he was just a boy of about 8, he told me he wanted to go to the Olympics and win a gold medal. I think my reaction not far off of patting him on the head and saying, "That's nice, dear." Who knew that 20 years later, he'd be where he was? Certainly not me, and I don't think my parents did either.

Regardless of what happens today in that stadium in Las Vegas, I will always look at him as an inspiration. He is someone who knew what he wanted at a very early age and went for it. How many of us can say that? I can't.

Good luck today, Nate. Your NJ fan club is here cheering for you.

EDIT: He won his first match!! Yay! He still has a tough fight ahead of him, but he's off to a great start! I'll keep you posted.

UPDATE: Well, he didn't make it, but he fought a great fight. Nate, you'll always be an Olympian in my book.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger ryssee said...

I'm SO excited! It's a HUGE accomplishment to even win the spot in the trials. I'm gonna google results all weekend. :-) Go NATE!

6:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow - I'm in awe of people who have such an abiding passion and such determination to see it through to as far as they can take it. I guess that's what makes them the best at what they do and the rest of us just dabblers. Go Nate.

7:25 AM  
Blogger Rocas said...

Anyone who fights hard for a dream, like your brother, is always a winner.
I wish I had such zeal!

9:05 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home