Sunday, June 28, 2009

Rub the bible and get three wishes

Scene: Sitting on the couch last night.

Loaf: Do you believe in God?

Me: I do.

Loaf: Does he live in New Jersey?

Me: Um. No. Definitely not. He is in heaven.

Loaf: Is that in the sky?

Me: Yes.

Loaf: Can he see me?

Me: Yes, he can.

Loaf: Can he see my bones?

Me: Yes, he can see your bones.

Loaf: Can he see me if I hide under the chair?

Me: Yes, even then. He can see you anytime.

Loaf. Oh. ::pausing:: Can he see if I don't eat my dinner?

Me: ::trying not to laugh::Yes.

Loaf: Can he help me find my lost dinosaur?

Me: It doesn't really work like that. I'll help you find it.

Loaf: Is he magic?

Me: Well, not exactly. He can conduct miracles though. He is all powerful.

Loaf: ::pausing to consider this:: Kind of like the genie in Aladdin?

Oy. OK. I get it. Time to focus on some sort of serious religious education. Which is going to fall entirely on me.

Awesome.

Like I don't have enough to worry about.

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

What do you mean, God doesn't live in New Jersey?

11:00 PM  
Blogger Lady M said...

I remember reading someone (Rita at Surrender Dorothy?) wincing to herself when trying to explain that Jesus wasn't quite the same thing as magic, the way Santa is. . .

Yeah, it's complicated!

12:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:31 AM  
Blogger MichelleBB said...

Please, please, please share how you handle. Neither of my children have had any sort of religious education and I'm starting to worry about how to explain God, heaven and death to a 5 1/2 year old.

It doesn't help much that my husband is Catholic and I'm Jewish; either way, only one of us will carry the burden.

9:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too cute!

11:38 AM  
Anonymous Rebecca said...

Try Veggie Tales...bible stories, lessons and values told in contemporary ways...we have a ton of videos, let me know if you want to borrow.

1:44 PM  
Blogger Momisodes said...

It is so true.

Why do they always corner US with these questions?

My 3 yr old asked, "Mom...when can I get married? I want so-and-so's Dad to be my husband!"

8:11 PM  
Blogger Kimberly said...

Mrs. C. - I'm sure he stops by the shore now and then to rest and maybe does a little hiking up in the hills, but I'm doubtful he makes his home here. Too much traffic.

Lady M - So complicated. I need someone to explain it all to me first.

MichelleBB - I will definitely share an lessons learned with you.

Momisodes - Ha! Mine want their own dad to marry them. I'm not sure which is worse.

9:46 PM  
Blogger Meanie said...

i'm going through the same thing with my two girls (4 and 7)! with no support from my hubbie, i am bringing them the the Unitarian church in our city. they seem friendly and open and i don't think we will melt when walk through the front door.

1:46 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home