Monday, July 10, 2006

Night, night. Sleep tight. Don't let the spiders bite.

I don’t do well with bugs. Ever since I was a kid, I would run away screaming from anything that had more than four legs. Bees sent me into a panic. An ant crawling up my arm would induce a maniacal frenzied dance to shake it off. I’d run screaming into the house if a wasp flew my way. But the reigning king of my own personal Fear Factor is the spider.

Big or small, spiders freak my shit.

Which is why, last night when we were just about to flop into bed and one of these crawled from the covers, I nearly had a heart attack on the spot.

Yes, that’s right. That – a gigantic, nearly 4-inches across fishing spider – was IN MY BED. My bed, people!

I expect to come across an occasional eight-legged freak in my bathroom, or maybe the kitchen, or even the living room. But the bed is supposed to be a bastion of spider-freeness, a happy place where you spend at least a few hours in a restful, blissful state, not tossing and itching and twitching.

And thank goodness Mark came to bed at the same time as me last night. When I go to bed first, I turn off the light across the room and then wander over and turn down the covers in the dark (something I will never, ever do again). I would have been cuddled up right next to that thing and not even known it. Until maybe it crawled over my arm or got tangled up in my hair. (I’m all itchy now).

Instead, Mark captured it in a washcloth and threw it out the door where hopefully it will live a happy life far, far from my bedroom.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my god! I do the same dance. My fear is the freakin cave crickets which look like ugly spiders that jump hurdles. Clay found a huge one in the shed recently, measuring at least 5-4 inches long. Eeeeeckkk!

5:08 PM  
Blogger Kimberly said...

Oh yeah, those things are really scary especially when they get huge like that. I'm always afraid they're going to jump right on me. EEEEK!

9:24 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home