Friday, June 08, 2007

Guess what Elmo's thinking about today?

For those of you not familiar with the utter horror joy that is "Elmo's World," in every episode Elmo is thinking about something and the episode goes to on detail various aspects of that something. Elmo will ask his mime friend Mr. Noodle a question about the thing he is thinking about, he will count something related to it, he will talk to it and then he will sing a song about it. Every episode (and I think I've seem them all) it’s the same.

Tonight, I passed through the living room as the furry red guy announces, “Elmo is thinking about games,” only to my ears it sounded like “gangs.”

I had to stop and do a double-take. I mean, I know Sesame Street has been trying to get all progressive and issue-y lately, but gangs seemed like a bit too much for a show with talking puppets and an audience largely under the age of 7 to address.

Though it got me thinking, if Elmo were thinking about gangs, would he bust a cap in Cookie’s ass for being blue? Would he wear a big gold “E” and get some jailhouse tats under his red fur? Would he ask Mr. Noodle in his chipper little voice, “How do you do a drive-by?” (And then would Mr. Noodle incorrectly try do one on a tricycle, or with a kazoo, until he finally got it right?) Would he ask everyone watching at home to count the stray bullets? Would Elmo ask a gang member to find out more? I can practically hear it:

Elmo: Is it fun being a gang member?
Gang member: It’s a blast.
Cue Elmo’s high-pitched laugh

Ergh. My brain likes to go to sick, deep, dark places when it’s sleep-deprived. My apologies. I’m off to bed . . .

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh. mah. gaw. I am so tired of that Elmo episode, I actually WISH it was about gangs. I'm guessing Elmo's a Blood not a Crip, but maybe that's just because of his red fur and the bandana headband he wears in the breakdancing segment of the Elmo Love to Dance! DVD we have. You may be on to something here, mama.


ps. Thanks for stopping by my blog! I will definitely be back here again soon.

4:35 PM  
Blogger Maureen said...

LOL!!

Oh, how I despise Elmo! I used to think he was cute & now I think he is the devil. B got the Elmo in Grouchland DVD from the Easter Bunny & oh holy hell do I regret that! B walked around screaming like Elmo, in that high pitched voice, for several days. Screaming! I am not kidding. He thought it was funny. I did not.

I will have to ask F if he sees anyone as suspicious as Elmo when he's out on his raids!

1:58 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I was reading your post, laughing my head off and thinking, "this is the bent kinda thing I come up with when I'm sleep deprived", and there it was...you're sleep deprived too! What a relief to know I'm not the only one. Thank you so much for sharing that.

6:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home