Sunday, June 15, 2008

Thirtysomething . . . at least for now

Today is my 39th birthday.

Insert dramatic pause and/or audible gasp

All week I’ve been trying to muster up some bad feelings or dread about it, but I just can't. I'm completely unfazed. So, I'm wondering, have I finally come to accept aging as an inevitable and acceptable part of life? Have I gained some new wisdom or perspective recently?

Nooooooo.

It comes down to this my friends: I'm just really, really freaking happy that for at least one more year I am still an official "thirtysomething." Next year, it's a whole new ball game. The big four UH-OH. The start of a whole new decade and phase of life. The thirties - the decade in which I became a homeowner, got married and had children - will be in my past.

::gulp::

OK, so maybe I'm not feeling so fine after all?

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

Blogger katogill said...

Happy Birthday Kim! When I'm feeling blue about getting a little older I always think of Great Grandma. Age never stopped her from loving life and being herself. Have a great day! As I recall the day you were born was also on Father's Day. Love you!

3:01 PM  
Blogger House Mother said...

Happy Birthday GIRLFRIEND!

I miss you! Hope you are enjoying each moment in your girls lives! Things are as busy here as they are there (which is why reading and replying is so few and far between!)

Next year we plan the big run-away weekend right? I don't mind celebrating a year early (not that I will so go far as to tell anyone I am 40 a year before I am or even a day for that matter!)

Love ya tons roomie

8:42 PM  
Blogger Mayberry said...

Happy belated! I am just about a year behind you and also clinging to that "3" in the tens place for all it's worth.

9:58 AM  
Blogger Maureen said...

Happy Birthday! Hope you managed to enjoy it :)

11:04 AM  
Blogger XUP said...

Happy Birthday and don’t worry, your 40s are going to be even more amazing than your 30s. Truly. It’s a great decade.

4:03 PM  
Blogger Chris Curtin said...

Ah, you can pretend to be 39 for a second time if you want (or third or fourth ...) Of course based on your daughter's comments she'll probably spill the beans!

I think Laryssa did her 40th best.

7:49 PM  
Blogger ryssee said...

Happy Birthday! No gulps allowed.

8:37 PM  
Blogger Jennifer S said...

I'm late to this, but...

Happy Birthday!

You know, I was relieved when I got to my 30s, and I will turn 40 this year. I'm okay with it, though the number still surprises me.

But I also think my 40s will also feel a bit better, too. Hope you had a great day!

8:11 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Happy belated Birthday! Hope you had a good one. Hope you have a great year and don't worry, 40 is the new 30, right? ; )

12:01 AM  
Blogger Rocas said...

Happy belated and don't worry about the 40's, unless of course your slipping in to the 50's.

1:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Belated Birthday!!! I am sorry I did not get here sooner.. I hope you had a great day!

9:49 AM  
Blogger Not Hannah said...

I'm late too, but Happy Birthday! Geminis rock.

9:26 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home