Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Last I checked, Palin was not Hillary. Let's accept that and move on.

I have to admit, I wasn’t a Hillary supporter. I voted in the primary for Obama even declaring myself a Democrat to do so.

However, I knew when I cast my vote for Obama - knew with all my heart and soul – that if the Democratic nod went to Hillary, I would vote for her without hesitation in November. Which is why I am so friggen confused about what’s happening and what I’m hearing about right now.

Are disgruntled Hillary voters – mostly women – really, honestly, truly considering voting for the McCain ticket just because he chose a woman as VP? Really?

To those who are in that camp I really have to ask: what the fuck? (And I don’t throw that word around lightly).

But seriously: What the fuck?

Yeah, OK. Palin has a vagina and apparently there is a whole crowd of people (mostly women) who desperately want to see a vagina-owner in the White House come January 2009.

But Palin? Really? Palin?

Not only is her experience level questionable, but more importantly, she is the diametric opposite of Hillary on just about every single issue. She’s staunchly pro-life, pro-gun, pro-captial punishment, wants a Constitutional amendment banning gay marriage, thinks creationism should be taught in schools alongside evolution, and is an environmentalist’s worst nightmare.

And let’s not forget who her main man is: John McCain.

Don't get me wrong. If you agree with what the McCain/Palin ticket stands for - then of course, obviously vote your conscience. That's the American way. But voting for this ticket simply because it now includes a woman is no different than a white man refusing to vote for Obama simply because he's black.

But for Democrats and uncommitted voters who supported Hillary during the primary, voting for McCain/Palin is exactly the opposite of what Hillary would want. She said so herself in what I thought was one of the most fantastic speeches she’s ever given.

The GOP is counting on the fact that desperate Hillary supporters are going to look past Palin’s beliefs and see only her motherhood, her womanhood – put bluntly – her vagina - and blindly cast their votes based solely on these traits.

The GOP thinks we’re all a bunch of mindless, brainless, incapable, emotionally driven ninnies who are going to get caught up in Palin’s biology without really examining her politics.

It thinks we can all be manipulated into abandoning the principles we believe in – that Hillary believes in – with no serious thought because, after all, women do what men tell them to do - either directly or subtly.

Quite frankly, I have to agree with Tree on this one.

I’m insulted. Infuriated.

Is that really who we are? Is the GOP right? Are we really just a bunch of nail-biting sheep who will fall into line and overlook – or not think about at all – our principles simply to get “one of our own” in power?

I hope not. Because this woman is no Hillary Clinton. Anyone with a brain (or a vagina) should be able to see that.

Labels: , ,

18 Comments:

Blogger Gretchen said...

Funny, I'm voting on where they stand on the issues, not whether or not they stand to pee.

Great post

12:16 PM  
Blogger Not Hannah said...

Preach it, my sister!

1:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree whole-heartedly!

2:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Right on sister!!!!! It is SO insulting that the republicans think that we would vote for ANY woman. I like what I read about her this weekend: "Dan Quayle in a dress". She has been fighting to open up the Artic National Wildlife Refuge to drilling, something John McCain doesn't even want to do, she is rabidly pro-life, and a CREATIONIST!!! Hello, that = STUPID in my book. I couldn't even have coffee with a creationist, let alone vote for one. Gaack. It makes me soooo mad.

JAG

4:35 PM  
Blogger ryssee said...

Nicely said.
I'm still trying to figure out what I wanna say about hypocrisy but I think I'll leave the kid out of it for now.
I still gotta look up Alaska's laws about sex education, access to birth control, etc I think, before I get on my soapbox about THAT one!

6:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

I'm H. and I work in a company interested in blog advertising. I found your blog engaging and I'm contacting you to ask if you are interested in blog post sponsorship.

If you are interested, kindly mail back (k5ino@bigstring.com) and I'll send you pricing details, guidelines and processes. Looking forward to doing business with you.

Sincerely,

H.

6:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In this election, if you vote for either party's top candidates you have to choose where you want your inexperience - in the top slot (D) or in the second spot (R). I refuse to vote for either and will instead put my efforts and hopes into building a veto-proof democratic congress.

9:26 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

I can't think of anything intelligent to say, something about all the stupidity I've been subjected to.

great post.

9:57 PM  
Blogger Kimberly said...

Ryssee - I so want to leave the teenager out of it, but part of me wants to email her with a, "Hey Sarah, How's that abstinence-only teaching working out for you? Maybe next time, try talking about condoms too."

Anonymous - True, Obama's lack of experience is a legit concern. I wish he had a bit more too, but I'm trusting he's going to have a cabinet full of really smart, experienced people and unlike W, he'll actually listen to them.

Thanks everyone for your comments.

9:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not with you on this one. Experience matters to me so I'll be voting for McCain.

9:41 AM  
Blogger Maureen said...

I am finding it hard to believe that all those Hillary supporters will jump on the bandwagon and trade camps. Maybe I am naive but god, I really hope not!

9:52 AM  
Blogger Kimberly said...

Anonymous McCain voter - That's cool. So long as you're voting on issues and/or experience and not solely because of gender. ;-)

1:17 PM  
Blogger Kristi said...

Thanks for visiting today. I completely agree with this post. I was a Hilary supporter and I gave Palin the benefit of the doubt for the first 30 seconds I heard her speak. Then she just started irking me... she shout-spoke and seemed way over the top...trying to defend a position before it even needed defending.

4:25 PM  
Blogger Marinka said...

Well, I was going to vote for Obama before the Palin nomination, now I'll just have to vote for him twice.

10:14 PM  
Blogger imaginary binky said...

Thanks for shaking your fists in the air with me over at the Binky. I'm fired up these days.

I honestly don't think that Hillary supporters will go to McCain. I think anyone who believes in the issues that Hillary touted would not shift gears and go the other direction. At least, I hope that is not the case. The few that have shown to switch, like that dimwit in the McCain ad, were appalled when someone showed them what McCain values really are.

News flash: Look at someone's issues before you follow the Vagina.

I have a ton of confidence that America will get it right.

1:15 AM  
Blogger Scary Mommy said...

"This woman is no Hillary Clinton."

and

"What the fuck?"

Two sentences I have been muttering for over a week. And they're moving up in the polls. I may be moving abroad.

9:08 AM  
Blogger Ndinombethe said...

If I was American I'd be voting on issues... and my God, that woman is all over the place when it comes to issues. She's constantly contradicting herself, and sounds about as daft as they come, to be honest -

When asked for her “take on global warming,” Palin replied, “A changing environment will affect Alaska more than any other state, because of our location. I’m not one though who would attribute it to being man-made.” [Newsmax, 08/29/08]

SERIOUSLY? Not man-made? And you live in Alaska where you see the effects daily???

1:48 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Who's Palin again? Ah, just kidding. Frankly, she scares me more that J.M. and vagina or not, I am not into voting for another 4 years of the Rep. crapola. No way Jose.

2:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home