Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Summer's last hurrah

June 2009

Peanut: Mom, remember last summer when we went to the beach, how fun that was?

Me: I do. It was very fun.

Peanut: Can we do that again this summer?

Me: Absolutely. We'll go again this summer. I promise.

September 2009

My words to my daughter have been weighing heavily on me these last few weeks because as summer '09 drew to a close, I still had not fulfilled them.

June was more or less a washout, with rain every weekend.

July had a few good weekends, but we were only free one of them. I recall that weekend in mid-July, sitting around the breakfast table on a Saturday debating whether or not to jump in the car for a quick day trip to the beach. I ultimately decided against it, opting to take them to a local outdoor swimming hole instead.

August was also chock full - a wedding, a triathlon, a road trip to Indiana and then Peanut's birthday party - and as the month drew to a close I found myself deeply regretting my promise, thankful that she did not bring it up, hopeful that she had forgotten.

September arrived and unlike previous years, it seemed the weather instantly cooled. Nothing awful, but there was a definite chill in the air, requiring a sweater during the day and an extra blanket on the bed at night.

But this past weekend was gorgeous - the kind of September weather that makes living in the Northeast so amazing. The skies were a cloudless, bright blue and the air was mild with temps in the 70s.

"This is it," I thought. "Our last chance to hit the shore."

So Sunday around 10 a.m. we piled in the car and drove just over an hour to Sandy Hook - the Jersey Shore's most northern beach. We spread out on a blanket and munched on barbecue chicken wraps, grapes and cookies. We dug in the sand. We collected shells and we even splashed (a bit) in the waves.

It was breezy, but beautiful. And I felt at ease having finally fulfilled my promise. Just. Under. The. Wire.

Squinty

Love this one

IMG_1511

Happy fall '09 everyone!

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Lady M said...

I love the image of the girls looking at the waves coming in. Glad you got out to the beach! We, um, didn't quite make it there this summer.

11:14 PM  
Blogger Jul said...

I only made it once too and it was just with my daughter Helen. I feel bad that I never made it with Hana.

6:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Phew..I was so worried that you wouldn't make it. And, I bet it was extra special because the only one nagging you into it was your own conscience.

9:01 AM  
Blogger ryssee said...

I only went once this year myself, and the beach got flooded out by the remnants of a hurricane.
Great pictures. They really capture that end-of-summer feel, though the girls look like they're happy in the middle of July.

10:38 PM  
Blogger Rocas said...

Even though I have been quiet this past year, I've still made a regular visit here. It is always a pleasure to come by; your stories have always been a nice respite from the bumps in the road, and when I read your blog about your children, I re-connect with my memories of when my children were as young as yours.

Your entry about 9-11 was one of the most poignant of any I have ever read. On the anniversary just past, I was once again reminded of the horrible scene of watching both towers fall from my office window. But your story showed the hope that continues after tragedy, especially considering the time at which it was originally written; when most writings were still dripping with thoughts of vengeance – mine included.

You capture the fruit of the wonder in life; in your marriage, your children and yourself. You are always an inspiration and a joy to pay a visit to.

Rocas

6:14 PM  
Blogger Maureen said...

Ah, that last bit of summer - I love it! The water is warmer in Sept/Oct anyway :) Love the pics, too!

9:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home