Monday, December 14, 2009

Holidazed

So I looked at the calendar today and do you know what it said?

Somehow, it is December 14.

I am not at all sure how that happened because, like, yesterday, it was Thanksgiving. And the day before that it was Halloween. And just a couple of weeks before that we were swimming and picnicking and chasing fireflies under warm July skies.

I’ve had a crazy roller coaster year at work. All summer I felt like I was falling in and endless trough there – faster and faster toward some unknown oblivion ¬– and then somehow, finally, things are back on track. I’m drowning in work lately, which is a good thing in nearly every way except that elements of my personal life are unraveling like a cheap Christmas sweater.

Somehow, I’ve managed to get a fair amount of holiday preparations done, but when I still think of all I have left to do – baking and wrapping and a trip to see Santa live and in-person – I feel a little woozy.

Mark and the girls––my God--they are my salvation. For every second they might make me crazy there are 1,000 more when they pull me back from the brink. I am truly blessed.

Today, I had to drive out to Pennsylvania for a meeting over two hours away. Sitting in the car in some seriously snarly traffic on the way back, I could feel the stress level rising. So. Much. To. Do. I don’t have time to sit in traffic. I don’t have these minutes to spare.

But sitting there, I found my mind wandering back to them. Mark’s sweet boyishness, Peanut’s beautiful bright eyes, Loaf’s million-watt smile. I thought of them at home – imagined what they might be doing without me. And before I knew it, I was home.

I tiptoed up the hall and slowly opened Peanut’s door. She was still awake—barely. Loaf on the other hand was jovial – bouncing on her bed and delaying putting on her jammies.

Cries of “Mommy!” Small arms thrown around my neck. Smootchy kisses on my cheeks. School recaps and sweet smiles.

Another day over.

So much to do.

And so much to look forward to.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Annie said...

You will get it done. Hang in there.

10:05 PM  
Blogger alejna said...

"...elements of my personal life are unraveling like a cheap Christmas sweater. "

I loved that bit. (The phrasing that is. Not necessarily that you are unravelling.)

I get the unravelling, though. I'm going a bit crazy these days, myself.

Your family sounds wonderful. I'm glad they can help ease the stress.

1:57 AM  
Blogger Lady M said...

I totally understand. The office has been nutty, and home, while also nutty, is such a joy. Happy Holidays!

6:43 AM  
Blogger ryssee said...

Better to be busy than the alternative. You'll pull it together. It's much earlier in December than it feels!
See you next week...the END of next week. See, it's a long way off! :)

9:39 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home