Friday, November 03, 2006

Fall back (waaaay back)

Last Sunday’s return to Standard Time has really screwed with our household. Peanut, who has always been the better sleeper of the two, has taken to waking up at the asscrack of dawn. I think the latest she’s slept in since last Sunday has been 5:30 a.m. And there have been mornings – several – where she’s standing at my bedside at 5 a.m. or earlier. One day she got up at 4:15.

Now, I am an early riser. I prefer to get up and get going in order to make the most of my day. But 5 a.m.? Is just a little too early even for me.

The situation is compounded by the fact that Peanut generally refuses to take a nap. So by late afternoon she is exhausted, spinning out of control and melting down at every little thing. Last night she had a 10-minute tantrum because Loaf apparently drooled a bit on her bed.

Red-faced and sobbing, she mopped at the comforter with a hand towel and then tried in vain to strip the bed. A few minutes later, the trauma of having her sister’s saliva on her bed apparently passed, I walked into her room to call her for dinner only to find her nearly asleep. I had to wake her by carrying her into the kitchen, sitting her upright at the table and practically forcing her to eat a few bites of food.

Desperate to keep her up later than 7:30, I gave her a lollipop and an extra half hour of TV. But as soon as the Sesame Street credits rolled, she headed straight for bed and was asleep before I could even properly tuck her in.

I have always hated the annual changing of the clocks. I hate that it gets dark at 5 p.m. now, chopping our afternoon outdoor playtime quite a bit. But this sleep thing? Something’s got to change here because we’re all exhausted.

Today we implemented the “don’t get out of bed until you see light through your curtains” rule, and that helped a bit, though she was still up and playing her room instead of sleeping. I don’t know. I’ve considered keeping her up late one night to try to force a change, but I’ve heard that can backfire. Any suggestions? I’m open to trying just about anything.

1 Comments:

Blogger Maureen said...

I hear you! B has been up and at 'em very early this week (he's normally an early riser but this is insane). Last night he fell asleep at 6:15 while munching mac n'cheese! To his credit, he only woke once - although at 2:30.

I say if she can play in her room quietly for an hour or two, why not? Maybe you will get lucky and she will even fall back asleep!

How about room darkening shades? I LOVE ours :)

Good luck! I hope her clock adjusts so you guys can get some sleep.

2:58 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home