Thursday, December 28, 2006

2006? CHECK! NEXT!

At this time of year, I like to reflect on what I achieved in the previous 365 days and start thinking about what I can do better or smarter in the future.

Last year around this time, I vowed to accomplish four things:

1. Firm up and shed 10 pounds.
2. Cut back on TV.
3. Grow a veggie garden this summer.
4. Get more organized around the house.

1. Firm up and shed 10 pounds.
Check. Since joining the gym in July I’ve lost 10 pounds and dropped one to two sizes depending on the cut of the clothes. I am fitter, stronger and feel much better about myself.

NEXT? Well, 10 pounds is good, but I’m afraid my body is the victim of, as a friend once said, the post-birthing “shift and drift.” Meaning? Areas that once were not my best aren’t so bad now, but other areas (ahem - ABS!) still need a lot of work. So weight loss and increased fitness will surely remain on my list of 2007 goals*.

2. Cut back on TV.
Check. Yes, I still watch TV, but not nearly as much as I used to. The only shows I watched with any regularity this year were Lost, The Daily Show, The Office, Desperate Housewives, The Apprentice and The Nine (which, piss me off, has been cancelled. Fuckers.)

I also “watch” a half hour of Sesame Street on a daily basis, but I’m just not counting that and you can’t make me. Axed from regular viewing were Survivor, The Amazing Race, American Idol, 24 and Dancing With the Stars.

NEXT? I will definitely stay on this track and I’d like to get back to reading on a regular basis instead of goofing—um, I mean, spending quality time on the computer. Though, I must admit, I’m really looking forward to Grease: You’re the One That I Want. At least I know that one won’t get cancelled before we find out what happened in the bank. (Fuckers.)

3. Grow a vegetable garden
Not even so much as one lone tomato seed found its way into the ground at my hands. I never even gave this a shot. Time, energy and ambition ran out this summer.

NEXT? Eh. Maybe. Honestly my desire for fresh snap peas is far outweighed by much more pressing priorities around the house.

4. Get more organized around the house.
Oh yes. My house is always clean. Papers are always neatly filed away. I am never running around at the last minute looking for lost shoes or keys or coats or my purse. Balanced, hot, nutritious meals are always served promptly at 6:30 p.m.

What the hell was I thinking with this one? Organized?? Lately, I’m just happy that each day passes without having to visit the ER.

NEXT? I’d love to have a more organized home life, but I really need to give that some thought and try to figure out how to break this very large goal down into more manageable chunks. If anyone has any suggestions, I’d be thrilled.

So I had a 50% success rate, which I guess isn’t awful. Though it surely is not great either. Hopefully I can do a little better next year.

*Official list to be released later this week.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home