Friday, June 15, 2007

Feelin' fine

Today I stepped on the elliptical at the gym and went through my ususal programming routine:
Program: Interval workout
Time: 30 minutes
Weight: 1mumblemumblemumble pounds
Age: Hmmm . . .

And here I had to pause for a moment, because instead of the usual 37, I had to enter 38.

Put into those terms, it's such an inconsequential thing. The machine defaults to age 35, so it only comes down to pushing the "up" arrow three times vs. two, but for some odd reason it struck me as momentous and for the first time today my birthday and advancing age seemed very official and real to me.

Sure, I've been thinking about my age a lot this week and yes, my family greeted me this morning (at 8:15, because I got to sleep in today - thank you Markus) with "Happy Birthday," but for some reason it was that moment, on the elliptical, when it really hit home.

And you know? Oddly, I decided I really don't care. Last year's birthday really troubled and depressed me, but this year - nothing. Really. I'm completely OK with it.

I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that I feel great lately. I'm working out and eating well. I've lost 10 pounds since mid-April (go me!) and I know that's part of it, but there's more.

I feel immensely grateful for and positive about my life. I like where it is and where it’s going. I feel we have a bright and happy future ahead. My kids bring me more joy than I ever imagined possible and I’m still madly in love with my husband. I have a good job and great friends (who I don’t see nearly enough, but I know that when I do we'll fall right back into sync).

So in summary, life is good right now and the age thing truly doesn't bother me at all.

For the moment.

Now, ask me again next year when I'm 365 days from The Big Four-Oh, and you might get a completely different answer.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger katogill said...

Kim, when you were born I was 9 years old. It was very exciting for me. I don't know if I was more excited about having a baby in the family or just being an aunt and being able to tell the other kids about it.

11:32 AM  
Blogger Maureen said...

Happy Birthday!! Hope you had a great one.

Personally, I think the kiddos keep you young. You get to do and act like they do (when no one is looking)! Who can resist a tea party or coloring? They allow you to step back in time and just "be" for awhile. Although, having their energy wouldn't be a bad thing ;)

2:05 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home