Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Six months with no TV

Could you do it?

The Gav household is giving it a try.

In fairness, we don’t watch tons of TV now. The television is off all day long unless there is some incredibly important breaking news story that we simply must know about. We have a DVR so if there was something we really wanted to watch in the afternoon, we’d just record it and watch it later after the kids are in bed.

The girls are allowed an hour of TV each evening before bed and they get to watch a movie of their choice on the weekend. Otherwise, they are TV free.

Of the four of us, Mark watches the most television, and I say this with the caveat that even he only watches maybe two hours most nights after 8:30 or 9 p.m. Being TV-free is his idea -he’s been nudging for a while now to turn off the satellite.

I’ve been reading at night, unless it’s Thursday because on Thursdays I watch Lost. That is it. No calls. No talking. No reading. No email. No blogging. Lost and only Lost. But Lost is over now until January, so this is the perfect time to pull the plug.

As of last Friday, we no longer have TV. We will still watch movies and we'll keep a cache of kids’ shows recorded so they can continue to watch at night, but no new shows. No summer replacements. No more reruns of The Sopranos. No premieres in September. We’re off the grid so to speak until at least January.

I think it will be good for us. We had a nice time the other night in a house devoid of not only TV, but lights too. I’m not saying I want to return to the Little House on the Prairie days, but I really don’t think I’m going to miss the boob-tube.

At least not when there are no new episodes of Lost.

Anyone else want to join us?

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger ryssee said...

LOL not me, during the Red Sox season anyway. Although I suppose the radio would do. :-)

9:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the idea of this. But I know I am do not self control with the TV.. I have it on for background noise at night..

Good luck!!

10:22 PM  
Blogger Not Hannah said...

Good for y'all. We wouldn't be able to do it (I watch TV for a living), but in truth we don't watch a lot of television outside of my job. (I'm with you on Lost). I can always tell when the Bug has watched too much TV elsewhere...he's like a windup toy on speed.

Have fun not being boobs!

9:21 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

My hubs just got on that kick and turned off the satellite. It's not been hard, we just turned to the internet! lol, but I will sorely miss it during football season and next year's American Idol. We may have to turn it back on!

10:30 AM  
Blogger Mayberry said...

I would love to do this -- good for you and let us know how it goes.

11:31 AM  
Blogger Maureen said...

Good for you! I couldn't do it, not that I watch a lot of tv, especially in the summer. Pre-kid I often had the tv on for background noise (bad, I know!). But, the few shows I do watch are on after the little guy is asleep and I use that as my unwinding time.

I think hubs would freak if he couldn't watch the Giants :) And, alright, I don't want to miss Jon & Kate Plus 8!

I can't wait to hear how it goes!

12:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kurt would rather DIE

2:17 PM  
Blogger Life As I Know It said...

This is a fabulous idea. I'm pretty sure I could do it for the summer, but the boys in my house couln't live without the Red Sox...

2:23 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home