Thursday, November 13, 2008

The fine art of negotiation

Today, Mark asked the girls to pick up their rooms. Repeatedly. They did not. So, they lost their after-dinner treat, as well as their nightly TV show. (If you've been following along at home, you may realize Peanut has been losing them a lot lately.

So after dinner, she asked for her treat.

Mark: No, I'm sorry, you lost your treat when you refused to pick up your room.

Peanut: But I waaaaannnntt it.

Mark: No, sorry. Remember this next time I ask you to clean up your mess.

Peanut: Well, then I'm not going to let you have your treat.

Mark: I'm afraid you're not in charge of that. Now why don't you tell me what book you'd like to read tonight.

Peanut: I'm not going to tell you until you give me my treat!

Mark: Well, then I guess I'll just have to live without that information.

Peanut: Well, I'm just not talking to you at all anymore because you won't give me my treat.

Hello? LSAT people? Exactly how old do you need to be to take that test?

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger ryssee said...

She's a smart one!

9:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How funny.. she really is a smart little cookie..

9:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually we have 4 cats too. LOL!
Callie is the youngest.
Karen had 3 cats when we met.

Your Peanut is a stubborn girl - standing her ground. Kinda cute.
Not to you, I know. But it made me smile.

It's a good thing, I think, that she can say what she thinks to you and Mark and you don't tell her to be quiet or "don't talk to me like that" - well in what I see her you don't do that.

I was not allowed as a child to say how I really felt.

Kids need that freedom, I think.
Well you know, within reason.

11:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've learnt that the best option for me is to do what the FBI does. When my girls start giving me lip, I stand my ground. After all: we do not negotiate with terrorists, right?

2:59 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home