Monday, November 10, 2008

Next mood swing in 10.6 seconds

Peanut, is still waking up early. Overall, she's handling it well, but when she loses it - she REALLY loses it.

After school today, she lost it. It started when she didn't want to leave school. A group of mothers were standing around chatting about something I don't know or care anything about and the kids from the class were running around the school's Great Room, playing tag and racing.

I wanted to leave. Peanut did not.

Out in the car, she bucked in her car seat and thrashed, folding her arms tightly across her chest making it difficult to fasten the straps. It was like trying to stuff an octopus into a sack. Every time I got one limb under control, another came out of nowhere to undo what I'd just done. I finally got her buckled in, but in the process, both of her shoes fell off.

As we pulled away, she started screaming at me to stop and put her shoes back on. Ummmm, no. Last I checked, I don't take orders from 5-year-olds.

Suddenly, something whizzed by my head and banged - loudly - into the dashboard in front of me. It scared the ever-loving crap out of me. Picking it up off the floor, I realized it was a pink plastic Fisher-Price unicorn.

And then, I lost it. Within 15 seconds, she lost her show, her treat, and I threatened to not let her go to ballet class tomorrow.

When we got home, she sobbed and sulked for a while and then (at her father's insistence) apologized and gave me hug. Within seconds of that, she was my happy, carefree, smiling girl again. The incident forgiven and forgotten. Moments later, she was skipping down the hall with her sister, their laughter trailing behind them.

I sat at my desk exhausted and rethinking the whole thing. If her moods swing like this now, what's she going to be like at 13? or 16?

I've concluded that I'm in serious trouble when the hormones kick in. At least I've got plenty of warning.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Colleen @AMadisonMom said...

Well... at least I'm glad to hear I'm not alone. Zoe threw a brush this morning. She was having a total fit and threw it right as I happened to be walking into the room. The brush hit me and I just lost it.

Oh... and the reason for the fit... I had the nerve to make her use the lavender brush on her stuffed animal rather than the blue brush. The identical except for the color brush.

10:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am scared of the teenage years..My oldest ..who is four..can have some pretty wicked temper tantrums..to the point that I am left shaking..

and it is typically over nothing..

sigh.

12:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh well, nobody said mummyism was going to be all hearts and flowers, endearments, hugs and cute stuff -- did they? As the mum of a teenager, let me reassure you that while they do have their moments; they remain pretty much like they always were only taller and more expensive

11:08 AM  
Blogger Maureen said...

Hmm, good times! Like you said, at least you will be prepared for the teen years :)

But just as an FYI, boys can act the very same way. Joy!

Good thing they are stinking cute, huh?

2:54 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

So, it's NOT only almost 5 yo fair blonde girls in the midwest that this happens. Whew! I really thought there was something I've done wrong with my fair one.

8:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:55 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home