Thursday, November 27, 2008

Gratitude

Today, in the midst of the hustle and bustle, the preparations, the cleaning, the cooking, the eating and the socializing, they came to me.

One rushes to me from the end of the hall – arms outstretched, a wide smile, feet racing, hair flying back from her face. I bend and scoop her up and up, tossing and catching her. I bring her close to me. She wraps her arms around my neck and squeezes. I walk with her and she whispers in my ear. She pats my cheek with her hand, then plants a smooshy kiss on my cheek.

The other stands before me, arms reaching up. Enormous eyes and an air of desperation. She says nothing, but stands before me – a ballerina balancing on her toes. Her expression pleads, “pick me up, pick me up,” so I do and I sway with her on my hip. She rests her head on my shoulder. I hold her close.

Similar scenes repeat throughout the day. One races to me and curls into my lap while I sit at the table. The other takes my hand and places it, gently, against her cheek, looking up at me with pure adoration.

My God, I am so blessed. So loved. So thankful.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is so beautiful! and awesome!

6:44 PM  
Blogger Jennifer S said...

Oh, the sweetness. *sniff

This was lovely, so lovely.

1:09 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home