Sunday, November 23, 2008

What did I forget to do yesterday?

Hmmm, so let's see . . .

20, 21, . . . 23?

Yup. I missed my post yesterday.

::sigh::

It was just one of those things.

We met some friends in Woodstock, NY for the day. It was freeeeeezzzing. Like 25-degrees with a wind chill putting it close to zero. Being outside for even a few minutes was miserable, so we kept ducking into stores. Four children underage 5 in almost any kind of store? Almost as miserable as being outside in the tundra. Especially because every.single.store. in Woodstock is filled with small, breakable things. Except the bookstore where we spent as much time as possible probably driving the poor woman at the counter crazy.

But through it all, every now and then I'd think, Yeah! At least I have something to write about tonight!

Then Peanut cracked a fever out of the blue and got all lethargic and glassy-eyed. But everyone else was starving, so we decided to just have an early dinner and call it a day. On route to the restaurant, Peanut and one of our friends' sons fell asleep, so we drove for a while along the Hudson River. (So pretty).

Around 5:30 p.m. we walked into the restaurant.

SLOWEST. RESTAURANT. EVER.

We didn't get our food for over an hour, during which time all three of the awake children (poor little sick Peanut snoozed on my lap in the booth the whole time) took turns driving their parents batshit crazy. When the food arrived, we were all hungry enough to eat anything, so for about four-and-a-half minutes, there was peace at our table.

Then the kids finished eating.

We wolfed down the rest of our food, hurriedly paid our check and hightailed it out of dodge.

And again I thought, Yeah! I have something to write about tonight!

EXCEPT, when we got home, my stomach rebelled in a huge way and without going into too the graphic details, the bathroom and I got to know each other a little better. And by the time that passed, I was a zombie. To put it simply: I was just too worn out. And I forgot.

Eh. So there go my chances for winning the NaBloPoMo Lifetime Achievement Award. It could be worse. I could have woken up today and found myself in the movie Groundhog Day, doomed to repeat yesterday over and over and over until I got it right.

::shudders::

***
Before I sign off, I have two recommendations for you if you're ever in the vicinity of Woodstock or Saugerties.

First, Lucky Chocolates in Saugerties. Everything there is good, but the passionfruit truffle? Oh. My. God. It's sex in a quarter-inch square. Oh and they ship! Great holiday gift, people!

Second, The Craftspeople, in West Hurley. Gorgeous, handmade pottery, jewelry, glass, clothing, candles, etc. and the proprietors are wonderfully warm, offering up a glass of wine or hot cider to each patron. A bit off the beaten path, but well worth the trip.

Just be sure to dress really warmly if you go in the winter. :-)

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger ChemMom said...

Sorry you were feeling yucky. I did miss reading your post yesterday!

2:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel so bad for Peanut.
I hope she is feeling better soon!

5:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh man.. I really hope you feel better soon..

9:19 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home