Monday, February 01, 2010

Sparkles

On a snowy Saturday in December, just a week before Christmas, Peanut got her ears pierced.

Ear piercing

At the mall, right after the ear piercing

The reactions of others were interesting. I got everything from, "why did you wait so long?" to, "I can't believe you let her do that," as if she were sporting a new tattoo or a nose ring.

I have found that most mothers think the "right" age for ear piercing is whatever age they were allowed to get theirs pierced. For me, that age was about 7. Peanut is six and a half, proving my point exactly. That said, I don't really feel like there is a "right" age. All I wanted was for her to ask to have them pierced. They are her ears and I felt she should have a choice in the matter.

By 13, the age most moms seem to think is closer to "right," I already had two earrings in each lobe. I get my laid-back attitude about ear piercing from my own mom, apparently.

The six-week mark for the piercing passed on Saturday, which meant she was finally allowed to take out her starter earrings and put on 'real' earrings. At Christmas, she amassed quite an impressive collection of teeny post earrings and she has been patiently waiting to try them on. I think on Saturday, we tried on almost every pair on her little earring tree.

Her favorite pair is tiny pair of round earrings - like little disco balls - with multi-colored crystals all over them.

She was beaming.

IMG_2285

IMG_2287

Though for anyone who still thinks six (and a half) is too young, take heart. My little needle-phobic Loaf took one look at the piercing process and proclaimed that she is not getting her ears pierced until she is in high school.

Which is equally OK with me.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Lady M said...

She looks so happy!

I was thirteen. I see lots of babies (yes, babies who can't crawl yet!) in our area with pierced ears - different cultures, different customs.

12:05 AM  
Anonymous mayberry said...

She is totally cute! My daughter is ready, and I am OK with it, but my husband is not. I think he wants her to wait until she is about 25.

I'm glad you're back! Your three recent posts all showed up in my reader today.

11:30 AM  
Blogger Colleen @AMadisonMom said...

I was 3 when I had my ears pierced. I had both of my girls' ears done at 18 months. I figured I either wanted them done early enough that they wouldn't really even notice them and would leave them alone... or old enough to take care of them on their own.

I can tell you my mother-in-law's reaction was less than thrilled. lol

9:28 PM  
Blogger Maureen said...

I was about her age when I got mine pierced. I begged and begged my mom, she gave in and it was done. But, I am a wimp and after they pierced one ear I didn't want the other done :) I know some moms pierce them when the girls are much younger. It's a personal decision and I would never say anyone was wrong for when they chose to do it, but I do have to say she looks SO cute!!!

11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home