Thursday, November 04, 2010

An unbalanced diet

Peanut has always been a good eater. Ever since she was a baby, she was open to trying everything and enjoys a variety of foods - including fruits and vegetables, Indian and Thai food, sushi and spicy stuff.

Loaf on the other hand? Oy.

Loaf eats about a dozen foods, most of which fall into the category of "grains." Her favorite foods include:
1. Cheerios
2. Corn flakes
3. Crackers
4. Pizza, without the cheese
5. Pasta, without sauce
6. Macaroni and cheese
7. Bread
8. Pancakes
9. Wheatabix
10. Rice
11. Vegetarian pepperoni (which, I think technically counts as a "grain" since it's made from soy. And no, it's not as dreadful tasting as it sounds).
12. Ham <---Which of these things is not like the others?

She will, fortunately, eat peas, beans, olives and most fruits, so we tend to keep those things on hand for variety. However, her "will eat" list keeps narrowing. On Monday, I packed her a lunch of vegetarian pepperoni, crackers and applesauce. The applesauce, which she was eating by the tub in September, came back unopened.

"I don't like applesauce, Mom."

Huh? Since when?!?

I know technically I'm not supposed to worry about this, but it's driving me crazy! I mean what kid doesn't like grilled cheese? Or chicken? Or peanut butter? Or corn? Seriously, people? Can I get a ruling here? Is she exceptionally picky, or does this sound like normal 5-year-old stuff to you?

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger MichelleBB said...

I think it's incredibly normal. Pet and Rae are the same way. One day they like mac & cheese, the next they don't. Most of the time they shy away from things with which they're not familiar, but we force the "try" rule.

I think it's wonderful you have at least one child who's so open!

11:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

K is only 1 but she does the same thing. I've been reading a lot about feeding toddlers & kids and one thing I liked for the "picky" kid is dips. You could try little go packs of hummus or full fat yogurt or pinto bean dip with cheese, ect and then stuff to dip in it. Or what about celery with peanut butter and studded with peanuts or raisins? Soy cheese? walnuts? how about other nut butters for protein like almond or cashew? JAG

12:17 PM  
Blogger Kimberly said...

Yep, our rule is you have to take 2 bites of everything on your plate, but the drama this produces is unreal. I know I was probably the same, if not worse, but now that the shoe is on the other foot it is frustrating.

J - she will eat most nuts, but isn't a big fan of PB (texture, maybe?) She is really sensitive to textures in general and thus isn't a fan of most dips or dressings. Its' crazy.

5:12 PM  
Blogger Maureen said...

Sounds like normal stuff to me! The Mayor was a great eater until recently. He keeps turning his nose up at everything and I swear if something he doesn't like touches his plate he has a full-on meltdown! I keep putting all the things he used to like on his plate but it's getting harder and harder to deal with the "I don't like it" phase. We don't "force" either but we insist on a few bites. He dislikes peanut butter, mac & cheese, grilled cheese, most vegetables, etc. But, I can still get him to eat salmon/fish (won't do fish sticks), tuna fish, turkey, carrots, rice & black beans and sometimes a hamburger, which I consider a success because if it was up to him he would only eat chicken nuggets!

2:59 PM  
Anonymous JoAnn said...

She's not alone. Only one of my 3 will eat grilled cheese, none like peanut butter, only 1 likes mac & cheese. None will eat corn unless it's on the cob. I could go on and on!

10:23 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home