Friday, August 06, 2010

My poor, neglected blog

So here's the deal.

Ten days after my dad passed away my work life got turned upside down. I was "asked" to come on board full time. Anyone who has been reading my blog for a while, or should I say, used to read it when I was posting more than once every quarter, knows how much I loved the part-time work arrangement I shared with Mark.

I refuse to go into any more details about it, other than to say, alas, I guess it just is no longer meant to be.

Unfortunately, working full time, out of the house, five days a week, with a 50-60 minute commute each way, has taken its toll on just about every facet of my life. My triathlon training is in the dumps. I'm struggling to get in 3 or 4 quick workouts a week, sometimes leaving the house at 5:15 a.m. to swim or running in the dusky early mornings at 5:30 a.m. before I'm even fully awake. Not fun.

I feel like I rarely see my kids Monday through Friday. My time with them is limited to about 30 minutes in the morning (if I don't go to the gym) and about 90 minutes in the evening.

Blogging has taken the biggest hit as you can obviously tell. And it's not just a lack of time. It's a lack of creativity/desire/get-up-and-go. I'm mentally spent after 8+ hours in the office and the last thing I want to look at is a computer. So, it's gotten cut out altogether.

I know BlogHer is happening in New York City - 45 minutes away from me this weekend. It eats me up not to be there, but then I think: for what? I have no readers and don't even know if I'll be blogging at all in a year.

I've decided the best strategy is not to stress about it. I will post when I can, and more importantly, when I want to. If I have readers who are willing to bear with me and check in every so often? Great. And if not, then this goes back to what I originally intended: a place to share pictures and stories about my life with distant friends and family members.

In the meantime, I hope everyone at BlogHer has fun. And maybe, just maybe, this ship will right itself and I'll feel confident enough to join you all in the future.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous mayberry said...

You're still in my reader and I will be here whenever you post! I'm so sorry about your job situation. That is so upsetting.

2:28 PM  
Blogger Colleen @AMadisonMom said...

Ugh! So sorry for the unwelcome change in work. You are in my Reader... And I'll happily read whenever you write.

I have to say I wish you were at BlogHer!!! It would have definitely increased my fun.

6:20 PM  
Blogger Shelley said...

Working full time with a commute plus being a mom plus training for tris is a tremendous load. Glad to read that you are not going to stress yourself about not blogging as often as you would like. I'll still follow your blog, whenever you have time to post.

12:33 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home