Thursday, January 03, 2008

Resolved: 2008 edition

Over the past few days, I’ve been thinking about my 2008 resolutions, but before I go there, I’d like to take a moment to reflect on 2007.

Last year, I had six resolutions. They were:

1. Continue working out regularly and with more intensity with the goal of dropping 5 to 7 more pounds.
How’d I do?
THHHWACK! That is the sound of me hitting this bad boy out of the park. I tripled my goal and lost 16 (!) pounds, 16.5 inches and two sizes. I must admit, I’m pretty damn proud of myself.

2. Read more regularly.
How’d I do?
I sucked on this in the first half of the year, but redeemed myself from July forward. The seventh book in the Harry Potter series got me started and I’ve been on a roll ever since. Now to just keep going.

3. Spend more time playing with/enjoying my kids.
How’d I do?
Fairly well. I let a lot of things go on a lot of days, foregoing the laundry or the sweeping to play Cinderella or to sit down and color with the girls. But I still could be better, it’s just really freakin’ hard when there’s always such a long list of things to do.

4. Go on regular date nights with my husband.
How’d I do?
Not too bad on this one. My goal was a monthly night out, and I think we did about half that, but this is still a great improvement from the previous year.

5. Stay in better contact with friends.
How’d I do?
OK, this is where things start to fall apart. I love my friends and I love when I see them, but after the kids, my job, Mark, the cat and taking care of the house, it seems there’s little time for other things. It’s frustrating for sure.

6. Find a church and get my kids baptized.
How’d I do?
::hanging head in shame::
Nothing here. Nada. Zip. My kids are still heathens and it’s all my fault.

So what’s next?

1. Maintain my weight and fitness level.
I worked too hard last year to slip back into bad habits, so eating right and going to the gym regularly remain high on my list of goals for this year.

2. Make myself a higher priority.
This goes hand-in-hand with the goal above. I eat right and go to the gym, but there’s more that must be done here. I have a prescription from my doctor for a baseline mammogram from 2006 – yet to be filled. I have not been to the dentist since I was pregnant with Loaf in 2005. I haven’t had a physical in over a year. I didn’t even get a damn flu shot this year! I’m not getting any younger here, so taking preventive steps toward maintaining my own health has to be high on the list for 2008.

3. Play with and enjoy the girls every day.
I can’t ignore the fact that I have other things in my life to address (like work and the house and myself), but there are things that can (and should) wait so that I can spend good, quality time with my kids, whether that involves a trip to the park or sitting at the kitchen table playing with Play-Doh. I do this stuff now, but not enough of it, and before I know it they’ll be off and running with their friends and won’t want anything to do with me. So recognizing that my time with them is precious and fleeting, I vow to make the most it. Besides, I’m pretty sure I’ll never look back on my life and think, “gee I wish I’d kept a cleaner house.”

4. Baptism. Yeah. Again.
OK. This is the year. One way or another, I have to do this. The first step is going to a couple of different churches and trying them out and now is the time before Mark resumes Sunday morning soccer in the spring.

5. Figure out once and for all where we want to live.
This is a joint goal that involves Mark, but he’s aware of it (and is actually sort of driving it). There are many things we like about our house and where we live, and many things we don’t. In any event, we certainly don’t feel “settled” or “anchored” here if that makes sense. We’d like be a little closer to our families, but still within reasonable access to New York City. We’re considering northern NJ, as well as a number of Hudson Valley towns. We’ll see. There’s also a decent chance we’ll just buckle down here, but I’d like to make that decision this year so we can put this issue behind us once and for all.

So that's it for me. You can play along or read what others are trying to accomplish over at Crazy Hip Blog Mamas

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really good goals, all of them. It seems you have a good track record for achieving your resolutions, so I bet this year's will be a breeze for you! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

11:30 AM  
Blogger Amanda said...

What a post, what a peek inside. Loved this. Thank you for sharing it and good luck on these goals!

11:57 AM  
Blogger Marie said...

WOW! That's awesome on the fitness piece for '07! Good luck w/the 'where do we land?' question - my husband and I are always thinking about this for some reason. I'm thinking staying put is a good idea but Dr. Spaz is always on the move.

2:18 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

Congrats on the weight loss! I have a thicker middle post-weaning, and I've been huffing and puffing with step-aerobics nightly.

And I'm with you on the health as a priority thing. My first dental cleaning since Spring of '05 is coming up on the 22nd.

1:46 PM  
Blogger Rocas said...

You have a better track record on your resolutions than most people I know; Congrats!

6:23 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home