Friday, November 28, 2008

The well-read meme

So Kate, from the very cool blog Sauciewee tagged me to participate in a really cool Bookworm Meme.

proudbookworm


The rules are simple:
1. Find the nearest book and open it to page 46.
2. Write out the fifth sentence on that page, and also the next two to five sentences.
3. You must choose the closest book, not the coolest, or the one you think will sound the best. THE CLOSEST!!!

I've been in a book club for just under a year. For December, we wanted to read something short and light, so we selected Maya Angelou’s Letter to My Daughter and it was sitting right here on my desk not 18 inches from my laptop when I read that she tagged me.

29010745


I will say, it could be the world’s fastest read. It’s only 166 pages long and there are blank pages between chapters that count in the tally, so I’ve been whizzing right along. So far, I'm really enjoying it. Angelou is a phenomenal writer and very wise woman.

Page 46 is part of a chapter titled “Violence.”

The fifth sentence is:

He experiences the same vulgar rush as the flasher, save that his pleasure is not satisfied with brief shock, he has a surge and moves on to the deeper, more terrifying, invasion.

The next four lines are:

I am concerned that the pundits, who wish to shape our thinking and, subsequently, our laws, too often make rape an acceptable and even explainable social occurrence. If rape is merely about the possession of power, the search for and the exercising of power, we must simply understand and even forgive the natural human action of sex in the extreme. I believe that profanity directed at the victim of rape or equally lugubrious declarations of eternal love dribbled into the terrified victim’s ear, have less to do with power than with sexual indulgence. We must call the ravening act of rape, the bloody, heart-stopping, breath-snatching, bone-crushing act of violence, which it is.

So, how’s that for some fine writing?

I now know who (or what) I want to be when I grow up.

Feel free to play along on your own blog. And happy reading!

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Maya Angelou!!

12:58 PM  
Blogger Manic Mommy said...

Bounced over from your comment on Thursday Drive. Damn, those are some powerful words.

1:04 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home