Thursday, December 11, 2008

A clean sweep

Today, I swept the kitchen floor.

A perfectly ordinary task, right?

Except, today, I had help. Loaf was home and when she saw me go for the broom, she ran to her room to get her pint-sized version so she could pitch in. The floor was messy from lunch with crumbs and bits of food all around the table.

I swept it quickly into a small pile and set the dustpan up to collect it. Meanwhile, Loaf worked diligently trying to corral a lone peanut into the bin.

"Come on, little peanut," she cooed gently, as a errant sweep of her broom sent it careening in the opposite direction.

"No, this way peanut. This way," she persisted, knocking too far in the opposite direction this time.

I watched, patiently, for her nut to join the rest of the fallen food in the dustbin. Again, she pushed it along with the broom.

"This way, nut. Go in there," but once again, she missed the dustpan.

She paused for a moment, assessing the situation.

"I just pick it up and put it in," she finally concluded, stooping down to pick up the nut and toss it in the dustpan.

"That's great, honey, that's just fine," I assured her, trying not to laugh.

Which just goes to show that sometimes, even the most ordinary can become extraordinary when you least expect it.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It really is moments like that which make you go awhhh...

9:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is too sweet!

9:15 AM  
Blogger Lady M said...

A cowgirl in action, herding a stray! Um, I guess that would be a peanut-girl?

10:58 AM  
Blogger Maureen said...

Cute! She's a problem solver.

3:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is she available for weekends? I have a lot of stray peanuts around

3:48 PM  
Blogger Jennifer S said...

Wait, I'm supposed to sweep my kitchen floor?

:-)

This was a very, very sweet moment. Glad you shared it.

10:47 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home