Tuesday, December 02, 2008

My favorite things

I curl up in bed with a daughter nestled under each arm. I read - rhythmically - from a collection of Dr. Seuss stories. The cadence of Seuss's poetry a soft lullaby. I use my "NPR" voice, carefully pronouncing each word, talking slowly and emotively.

Within minutes of each other, they sleep, my beauties. Peanut is draped across my belly, while Loaf dozes and turns on her side. I keep reading for a few minutes more, ensuring they're deep in slumber's grasp.

I set the book down and continue sitting. I stroke Peanut's hair and twirl my fingers on Loaf's back.

This is, they say, the season of peace. But too often, it becomes a season of stress, hassle and rush.

Tonight I sat in a silent room with my daughters draped around me. I let the many things I have to do wait. I stopped the madness and let life crawl to me for a change. I let the stillness wash over me, wiped the to-do list from my mind and absorbed the present - fully and completely.

A gift to myself: Time. Memory. Harmony. Family. Peace.

Love.

Try finding that at the mall this holiday season.

Snuggle time

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is really what it's all about!
Good for you :o)

8:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's nothing better in the whole entire wide world. Nothing.

6:15 PM  
Blogger Not Hannah said...

Ohwee. I want to go snuggle with my lovies right now.

8:57 PM  
Blogger Colleen @AMadisonMom said...

Good for you.

I just stayed with Zoe for the whole cd before leaving her room... rather than reminding her I can only stay until the 3rd song. Laundry and dishes be damned.

9:11 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home