Monday, December 22, 2008

I hope you dance

In my opinion, one of the best things about children is their utter lack of inhibition.

I so respect the way they run – wildly and sometimes with little regard to control or destination. I admire the way they sing – loudly and with no concern about whether or not the words are right, never mind things like key or pitch. And while I’m overall quite grateful that adults aren’t apt to strip down to their underwear just for the heck of it, there is something to be said for being totally, 100% comfortable with your own naked body.

I also love the way they dance – so different than most adults. They move whichever way their bodies take them. They don’t think – they do. They twist, bounce, whirl, twirl and jump. They throw their arms around, kick their legs wildly in all directions and shake their bums on – or off – beat. It doesn’t matter because it’s all about living and loving the moment.

Nowhere was this more evident than at the ballet class we got to watch last week. Peanut’s been taking the class since September with 11 other little girls. Class is held in a closed room with no windows, so this is the first time we were able to see what they do.

The girls in their black leotards and pink tights moved about the dance floor – following the instructor’s direction– but putting their own personal interpretation on the movement.

Freestyle dance

Position number . . . not sure.

I don’t see any latent talent in Peanut. No hint of raw potential or future accolades. But she moves with freedom and pleasure. She smiles and laughs and spins and claps for herself. She is having the time of her life. I hope she always enjoys dancing the way she does now.

Twiiiiirrrlll

Enjoying it

Of course, we were enthralled – how could we not be watching such a sight – joy in its purest and most natural form.

The proud family

* * *
At a wedding we went to recently, only a few dozen guests danced. The rest sat on the sidelines. I firmly believe that whenever there is music, you should get up on the dance floor for at least one song. I guarantee if you do, you’ll have a much better time overall.

And maybe, just maybe, try to let go a little. Lose your inhibitions. Spin. Wiggle. Lose yourself in the music, even if only for a beat or two.

And then take a bow – even if only in your own head.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too am one of those people that will dance on the dance floor at weddings, parties, etc.. even if by myself.. I always end up having such a great time..

The pictures are just sooo sweet!!! :)

10:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loaf looks like she's ready to jump in!

11:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I give myself concerts.
Mainly because no one else wants to hear it.
ha ha ha ha ha!

11:52 AM  
Blogger Mayberry said...

That is why I love weddings, for the dancing!

Peanut looks so sweet (and Loaf too in the picture where she is watching).

12:17 PM  
Blogger ryssee said...

Look at wee little Loaf in the cute plaid dress in the last photo! She's enthralled too!
Maybe we can all get our boogie on this coming Friday. One song IS my limit though, I don't want to knock the tree over.

9:22 PM  
Blogger Lady M said...

Adorable and true.

If you ask a class of kindergarteners whether they can draw, sing, or dance, they all say yes! Ask a group of adults . . .

4:22 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home