Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Sweet sleep

I woke last night with a soft weight on my chest. Thinking one of the cats had settled there for a snooze, I removed my hand from under the covers to stroke whichever feline was there. I was surprised to feel Loaf's wiry curls and the hard curve of her skull instead of a soft coat of fur.

I moved my hand along her body. She slept with her head on my chest and her body curled between me and Mark. She was on top of the covers. I shifted slightly and pulled the blanket over her body. She sighed deeply and coiled more tightly to me.

To the best of my knowledge, she's never slept like this before - head on my chest, squeezed against me like a big cat.

I lay there in the dark, arm around her, thinking how small and light she is. Running my hand along her back, I mentally measured her stem to stern, nose to toes. I listened to her breathing - deep and rhythmic. We have such a bond, she and I. She seeks me out day and night, rushing to press herself into me as much as possible.

I lay awake in the dark, my mind wandering around the details of my life, for a long time before sleep finally found me again.

Hours later, I woke to see Loaf's head on the pillow. At some point, she separated from me and once again we slept parallel - side by side. Then I felt her tiny hand resting on my forearm, still seeking the comfort of touch. I threw an arm over her and closed my eyes and this time fell instantly back into a deep sleep, equally comforted. Equally content.

* * * * *

Oh, and in case you were wondering where my annual Academy Awards fashion review is, I'm taking the year off.

To be honest, I just wasn't feeling it this year. It seemed every gown was just sort of "meh." Not great. Not awful. Not worth blogging about (because who wants to read review after review of, "It was fine, not great, not awful. Just fine.") And it didn't help that a slew of stars skipped the red carpet and slipped in the back door. (Seriously, what the hell? Hardly anyone cares about the awards - we want to see the fashion!) Hopefully next year we'll have more WOWS! and even more OMG, WHAT WAS SHE THINKINGS so that we can resume our usual snark.

What did you think? Anyone stand out (either good or bad) in your opinion?

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't watch the awards.

That story about you and Loaf is so sweet and touching!

10:06 PM  
Blogger Lady M said...

Adorable snuggles!

I'm all about the gowns too.

1:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't care about the gowns. I just wanted to say the oddest moment I remember is seeing my baby one day stretched out on my bed and wondering when she got so long. In my mind she was always little and cuddly. Of course now she's longer than me.

8:06 PM  
Blogger Jennifer S said...

I loved this. My girl still sleeps with me for half the night, stumbling in while I'm asleep most nights, and nestling in next to me (her favorite place is to lay her head on the small of my back).

You've described the sweetness so well here.

2:23 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home