Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Lazy, hazy days

My favorite season is fall, but summer runs a close second. Summer arrives and seems to say, “Hey, pull up a chair. Put your feet up. Thirsty? Have some lemonade. Eat an ice cream cone. Take a swim. Chill.”

And now that we’re past June, which was the most dismal, dreary, rainy June I can ever remember, we’ve been doing just that.

Summer seems to have a more leisurely pace than other seasons, and I say that even though I know nearly every weekend between now and mid-September is booked with some event or another.

Aside from that, we’re soaking up the summer as much as possible. We sit by the pond and watch the frogs sun themselves. We eat our lunch on a blanket in the backyard. We swim. In a matter of days, we’ll be filling buckets with wild raspberries.

Last night, we ventured into the yard to marvel at and chase fireflies. The girls ran through the nearly dark yard, arms outstretched until they closed around a firefly. They’d cup the tiny insect in their hands and peek in, watching the neon flash-flash-flash for a few seconds until they had their fill, then they’d release it into the dark.

Sometimes the bug would slip through their fingers and escape before they could steal a peek at it.

My baby, Peanut, is on the cusp of turning six. She’s lost a tooth and is entering kindergarten in a matter of weeks.

Loaf is becoming more independent by the day. She pushes my hands away repeatedly, declaring, “I can do it myself.”

There are probably only a few summers left of backyard picnics, chalk drawings on the front walkway, bubble-blowing contests and chasing fireflies through the yard.

And after that? Who knows? They will have new activities and interests that don’t involve me.

So excuse me if my blog is a bit neglected these days. I’m running, hands outstretched to see what I can catch. And hoping to get my fill of it before it slips away.

Main Street USA

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger Madge said...

summer's just seem to fly by quicker every year. my kids are back in school four weeks from tomorrow. seem's like we just got out for the summer

9:23 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Enjoy it while you still can. I just found out that school starts here in less than a month (we just moved) and I'm freaking out a little about having a Kindergarten-er!!

9:31 PM  
Blogger Colleen @AMadisonMom said...

Oh... how I understand all about the neglected blog. Have you ventured to mine lately? We're just too busy enjoying life.

9:41 PM  
Blogger Not Hannah said...

The irony is that I just spent an entire post complaining about summer. I think my fall is your summer.

11:16 PM  
Blogger Lady M said...

Ah, lovely. The picture too!

I feel like I see a lot of the backs of my boys as they scamper ahead of me too.

2:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love fall too!

9:54 AM  
Blogger Amanda said...

We'll be storing memories like the kids in Moongirl to light the carousel we'll ride reliving memories years from now.

Exquisite.

4:50 PM  
Blogger Momisodes said...

I don't blame you one bit. I feel the same way with my little girl, so quickly slipping through my fingers each summer.

This was a rather bad June gloom wasn't it?

8:15 PM  
Blogger Maureen said...

Enjoy every minute of it. Who can blame you?

3:22 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home