Monday, March 15, 2010

Give a little, gain a lot

Today I was a chaperone on my daughter’s class trip. We went to a local community theater to see “Click, Clack, Moo.” I was a bit concerned, even skeptical, of how a 10-page children’s story could be transformed into a 60-minute play, but it was actually quite cute. There were songs and dancing and a lesson at the end about compromising with others.

Compromise is a funny thing. Of course, we all do it and it’s an important skill, but in obviously there are times when we’d rather not. And I know there are some things on which I don’t want my daughters compromising – their dreams, their goals, the person they choose to marry.

I sat on the bus ride back from the theater with Peanut nuzzled against me. She was so excited to have me there as a chaperone – so proud to have her friends see me there with her – present. A mom who is present.

I know the day will come when she won’t want me around her friends. She’ll roll those big gray eyes and ask me to drop her off at the corner and, whatever you do, don’t kiss me, Mom. I remember being that way with my own mother. I’m sure it wasn’t easy on her.

But today, she was sweet and snuggly and so very much mine. When the day comes that she doesn’t want me anymore, I’ll oblige, I suppose. I’ll wait in the shadows, guiding when needed, loving always. But giving her the space she needs to grow. To develop. To dream. To live.

Because that’s what parents do.

We compromise.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Not Hannah said...

And now you made me cry. Even stevens, baby.

10:18 PM  
Blogger Lady M said...

Awww. Those darling snuggles. I'm trying to savor the "mommy, mommy, mommy," even when it would be really nice for them to be quite for say, two minutes.

3:31 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home