Monday, March 29, 2010

Eulogy

One week ago today, my father died. Ever since I've been sitting at this computer watching my cursor flash on off on off off on off, unable to commit anything meaningful about his death to this blog.

My feelings about my father resemble a game of pick-up sticks: there are jaggedy, pointy things buried at the bottom of the pile and as soon as you disturb one, several others come unloose as well.

My father was a brave man. He was paralyzed in Vietnam at the age of 21 when a bullet tore through his left shoulder and exited via his spine. He spoke many times about the men he served with - men of grit and valor who sacrificed for their country and each other.

In the early years of my life, he was often depressed and bitter. I don't blame him for this. I cannot even begin to imagine how he felt losing use of his legs - and with that, the ability to dance, walk, run, jump and make love - at such a young age. He comforted himself with substances both legal and illegal. His choices weren't always the best, and they sometimes got him into trouble.

Worse than any of that, it was sometimes difficult to connect with a man whose body had been so unfairly broken – whose emotions and spirit had been turned inside out. Our relationship was complicated and not always easy.

But he was my father and I loved him. He was a man who chased me and a friend around the house in his wheelchair howling like a wolf. He taught me how to take pictures and develop them in the darkroom he had in his home. He visited Ireland and sent me postcards every other day detailing his adventures. He took me to see The Rolling Stones. Twice. He paid for my college education because he knew it was my ticket to a better life and I have always been so very grateful for that.

I know he loved me and I know he knows I loved him, but that does not make up for years of other things never said. Missed opportunities. Chances not taken. I am full of grief and regret this week, and probably will be for a long time.

On Friday, we held his funeral; a mass and burial with full military honors - taps, color guard, a 21-gun salute and a flag folding ceremony. I spoke at the mass, delivering a short eulogy at the end. It was a send off that I hope made him proud. I will leave you with those words:

* * *

I am a writer. I write to process, to record and to destress. My father was a writer too. I like to think that my love of writing is a gift from him, one of many he gave me throughout my life.

My father was a war veteran. A hero. He was a philosopher and an historian. He loved politics. He was an avid reader and a painter. He always had a good story to tell. He was a genealogist who researched our family tree back hundreds of years.

He also loved astronomy. With his telescope, he could identify all of the planets. When I was a young girl, he would wake me in the middle of the night sometimes so that he share an eclipse or meteor shower with me. I remember standing on the back step of our house in Clarksburg in my pajamas looking up at the sky with him one night as a comet blazed overhead.

“See Kim, see?” he said. “Isn’t that beautiful? You won’t see that again in your lifetime.”

I saw.

And even back then – at only about 7 years old - I knew why that moment was so spectacularly awesome in so many ways.

Thank you, Dad, for many, many things. You will be missed; you will be remembered. Because for the rest of my life, I will look up into the night sky and imagine you out there somewhere – chasing that comet.


Me_Dad

Michael Gorman
1947 - 2010

Labels: ,

14 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer S said...

Oh, Kim...I haven't been reading blogs, so I didn't know. Sending you so much love and strength. This was a beautiful, moving tribute. Peace to you and your family. xoxo

9:26 PM  
Anonymous jill billings said...

My mother told me that your father has passed. I remember your dad and remember that he was a complex man as was your relationship with him. Your eulogy was beautiful and may he rest in peace. Our thoughts and prayers are with you during this time of sorrow.

10:16 PM  
Anonymous jill billings said...

My mother told me that your father has passed. I remember your dad and remember that he was a complex man as was your relationship with him. Your eulogy was beautiful and may he rest in peace. Our thoughts and prayers are with you during this time of sorrow.

10:16 PM  
Anonymous mayberry said...

Kim, I am so sorry. The eulogy you wrote was beautiful and it seemed (to me as an outsider) so honest and heartfelt.

11:16 PM  
Blogger alejna said...

Oh, Kimberly, I am so sorry. The eulogy was beautiful and moving, and I have tears in my eyes. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and words here with us.

12:38 AM  
Blogger Lady M said...

I am so sorry. You wrote so beautifully about your father. Love to you and your family.

1:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

k-
that did it. what an absolutely beautiful piece of writing.
you have made a father proud. and brought many more, i have to believe, to tears.
-k

8:56 AM  
Blogger Cold Spaghetti said...

I'm sorry that you're dealing with this loss... I wasn't expecting this and it hit me a little hard as I'm in a rough patch with my own family at the moment and can't find words to even think about it, let alone find your eloquence. Your eulogy was so personal, so beautiful, I feel really blessed to have happened to read it.

I stopped over because I wanted to tell you that one of your posts was voted as a Best of the Best Just Post for 2009 -- hope you'll stop by and check it out.

Again, I'm very sorry for your loss.

11:21 PM  
Anonymous sher said...

hi, ended up here thanks to the just posts awards. and i must tell you, this is such a beautiful post about your father. i am so very sorry about your loss and i wish you much comfort and strength at this time.

7:45 AM  
Blogger Not Hannah said...

Kim, I'm so, so sorry.

You disappeared from my blogroll during all of the change-up and I missed this.

Your words were lovely--and love-filled. Beautiful, my friend.

9:22 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

I'm so sorry, Kim. I'm sorry, too, to be so late in offering my love at this hard time. I know this pain.

xoxo

9:38 PM  
Blogger Momisodes said...

I am very sorry for your loss. I'm just catching up online these days. This is a beautifully written tribute to your father. Please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers.

2:29 PM  
Anonymous Armando Codina said...

Well,I wasn't expecting this and it hit me a little hard as I'm in a rough patch with my own family at the moment and can't find words to even think about it, let alone find your eloquence. thanx for sharing with us.

3:38 PM  
Blogger Colleen @AMadisonMom said...

Beautiful words Kim.

8:55 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home