Sunday, November 11, 2007

Wow! Look how green that grass is over there.

For those of you who don’t know me personally, I work part time. I go into my office two days a week, and work a few additional hours at home on the other three days. I work hard to keep a balance and keep all my clients – the big ones at work and the wee ones here at home – happy.

Last week, I had to go to work two days in a row. I chugged up to my office on Tuesday and then again on Wednesday. Doing two days in a row out of the house is not ideal for a number of reasons, but sometimes that’s just the way it has to be and we all make the best of it.

By the time I got home Wednesday night, I was tired of work and in serious withdrawal. All I wanted was to talk with, sit with, read to and cuddle my girls. And I did. A lot.

Then came Thursday. And Friday. And Saturday. And today.

Over the past four days, I have endured an unknown number of tantrums, crying fits, fights, screeching, whining and drama. I have fixed 10 meals, fetched an unknown number of snacks and poured copious quantities of milk and juice.

I have played too many rounds of Candy Land and I have participated in a seemingly endless stream of role-playing games. I have been the Beast, Cinderella’s wicked stepmother, Maleficent from Sleeping Beauty, and Grumpy from Snow White (and no, it’s not lost on me that I am always assigned the roles of the meanest, ugliest characters – what the hell?)

Don't get me wrong, we had a lot of fun too. We played outside and sang silly songs and colored and read a bunch of stories. We went to Target and had a great time oogling the well decorated Christmas section. We watched a movie together nestled under a big blanket. But right now, I'm desperate for a change of pace.

Tomorrow, I am off to work and I'm really looking forward to it. I love my children more than I can even articulate, but those two days give me a chance to catch my breath and appreciate so much more what I have - in both of my roles. Going to work makes me a better mother and being at home makes me a better employee. Each part of my life encourages me to pour all that I have into the other, to look down and think, "wow, look how green the grass is here under my feet," as well as to appreciate how green it grows on the other side.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Maureen said...

Oh how I hear you! There are days when going to work actually preserves my sanity ;) I never thought I would say that but there you go. Reciting the ABCs non-stop & pretending to laugh at the same knock-knock joke 100 times in a row will do that to me.

Those 3 days in the office are just enough before I start hating work again too!

I love the little man but I seriously don't know how stay-at-home moms do it. They are saints!

11:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, well I can imagine that. One part of your life keeping the other half in balance, right?
The story of your husband and his car was hilarious, I could just picture him sitting in that car with that big big dog in the drive's seat! Lucky for him it was only his mum that caught him, it could 've been worse?

5:15 PM  
Blogger ryssee said...

Wow, Kim. That last sentence really says it all.

6:55 PM  
Blogger Mayberry said...

Great post -- I know EXACTLY how you feel! I quite often look forward to those Monday mornings at work, and I never, when I was 25, thought I'd EVER say that!

2:33 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home