Monday, October 15, 2007

The word of the day is . . .

When I came home from work on Friday, Mark was very eager to show me a new game he’d invented with the girls.

He extended his hand, index finger pointed toward Loaf and said, “Give Daddy a dink,” and she reached her little hand out and gently touched her extended index finger to his.

“Dink,” she said in the sweetest, softest voice. He then repeated the process with Peanut.

Now, I must admit, as touching as this little scene was, I was initially taken aback because where I grew up? Dink is a not a nice word. When I was a kid, a “dink” was one of two things:
1. A jerk, an asshole, or a really stupid person, or, even worse,
2. A slang term for penis.

But, I kept my mouth shut, figuring it was perfectly innocent and as long as he only played this little game within the walls of our house there was no harm, no foul.

Then we went out for lunch on Sunday.

The restaurant was crowded and we were forced to wait outside for over half an hour. The weather was nice, but the kids still started getting restless. I held Loaf in my arms while Peanut hovered around my feet holding onto one of my legs.

“Hey? Who wants to give Daddy a dink?” Mark asked, trying to occupy their attention for few minutes. “No one? No one wants to give me a dink? You’re dinkless right now?”

And that was it. Because every time I hear that word, I hear the echo of some kid on my elementary school playground screeching, “Billy, don’t be a dink,” or better yet, an unnamed 10th-grade class delinquent telling the math teacher to “suck my dink” the day he was thrown out of class for the third day running. So hearing my husband talk about getting a dink and being dinkless to our daughters in a moderately crowded place was just too much for me.

“Do you know what that that word means?” I hissed under my breath.

“No,” he said in complete shock. “What?”

“Penis. It’s a slang term for penis.”

“It is not!” he said in utter disbelief. “That has to be some stupid Massachusetts thing. No one else can possibly have ever heard of that before.”

God I love being right.

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Maureen said...

LOL! I have never heard that term though. Growing up in NJ our language was much more colorful ;)

Poor Mark! At least he wasn't teaching them To Pull My Finger.

11:25 AM  
Blogger Kelley said...

I thought DINK was Dual Income No Kids. I never heard of it as slang for penis.

10:46 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

HI-larious!

11:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dink was penis on my playgrounds too. heh.

12:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is it with men and these bizarre terms they make up for stuff? In our house, it's "bonk" referring to a butting someone with your head. Which is NOT the definition I learned in school!

And I'm totally with you on being right. LOVE IT!

2:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep! My vocabulary is definetely improving!

3:03 PM  
Blogger Trish K said...

HYSTERICAL!!!

I am from MA too so I am not sure how universal dink is, however, I wouldn't recommend my kids saying it

4:24 PM  
Blogger ryssee said...

What a dink! How could he not know that!?

7:28 PM  
Blogger Mrs. G. said...

Ahh...now I know what my husband means when he asks me if I want a little rinky dink. I'm not sure I like that anymore.

9:29 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home